The Commitment of our Volunteers
"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless."
- Mother Teresa
Hospital visitation volunteers have special personal qualities including:
- an openness to others from different cultural and religious backgrounds
- the ability to listen without judging
- a willingness to grow in personal self knowledge
Our volunteers go through several steps before becoming hospital visitors.
- An application is filed and reviewed by the program manager. Applicants who meet our requirements are then invited for an interview.
- During the interview, we explore the interest in visiting people at their most vulnerable moments as well as the ability to listen to another's story with compassion.
- Before candidates are invited to become a hospital visitor, they must state in good faith that they can meet the Hospital Visitation Program's expectations and attend 20 hours of classroom and site training.