"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless."
- Mother Teresa
Upon successful completion of the training the volunteers are integrated into the volunteer department of the hospital of their choice. They work closely with the hospital's Pastoral Care Department and often refer patients to them who express a desire for more in-depth spiritual care. A chaplain is then sent to these patients for follow-up.
The training is free and open to all qualified persons. However the Hospital Visitation Program does expect that volunteers:
- Complete the required 20 hours of training
- Honor their commitment to visit GHI/EmblemHealth patients 3 hours a week
- Attend volunteer support group meetings with the program manager on a regular basis
- Maintain visitation records
- Conduct themselves in a professional manner
As our volunteers care for our members so we at the Hospital Visitation Program care for our volunteers.