Tobacco Cessation Counseling Can Save Your Patients' Lives
EmblemHealth partners with the New York State Smokers' Quitline to provide comprehensive tobacco cessation services to our members. When you identify patients ready to quit smoking, you can refer them to the Quitline at 1-866-NY-QUITS (1-866-697-8487).
The 5 A's To Assess the Need for Counseling
US Public Health Service clinical practice guidelines recommend that you discuss the "5 A's" during all patient visits. Incorporate these 5 A's into your practice:
- Ask all of your patients if they smoke.
- Advise every smoker to quit smoking.
- Assess their readiness to quit.
- Assist with a plan for quitting.
- Arrange for follow-up.
Studies show that a follow-up visit or phone call within one week of the patient's quit date can double the effectiveness of any intervention. EmblemHealth provides reimbursement for tobacco cessation counseling based on current Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services guidelines. Please use the following CPT codes for these office visits:
- 99406: Smoking and tobacco-use cessation counseling visit, intermediate, greater than 3 minutes up to 10 minutes
- 99407: Smoking and tobacco-use cessation counseling visit, intensive, greater than 10 minutes.