EyeMed is the vision services provider for all EmblemHealth members with a vision care benefit. This includes ASO members whose vision benefit is managed by EmblemHealth. Please note not every EmblemHealth member has a routine vision benefit. See the member’s Benefit Summary on emblemhealth.com or call EyeMed to determine if a member has vision coverage.
- HIP (including members whose care is managed by Montefiore Medical Group (CMO) or HealthCare Partners (HCP) and members who selected a PCP assigned to a St. Barnabas Hospital System PCP or AdvantageCare Physicians (ACPNY).)
- GHI Commercial Groups with Vision Benefits (See the eligibility information on emblemhealth.com or call EyeMed to determine if a GHI member has vision coverage.)
Glossary terms found on this page:
Services available to a member as defined in his or her contract. Benefit design includes the types of benefits offered, limits (e.g., number of visits, percentage paid or dollar maximums applied) and subscriber responsibility (cost sharing components).
A determination of whether or not a person meets the requirements to participate in the plan and receive coverage under the plan.
An institution which provides inpatient services under the supervision of a physician, and meets the following requirements:
- Provides diagnostic and therapeutic services for medical diagnosis, treatment and care of injured and sick persons and has, as a minimum, laboratory and radiology services and organized departments of medicine and surgery
- Has an organized medical staff which may include, in addition to doctors of medicine, doctors of osteopathy and dentistry
- Has bylaws, rules and regulations pertaining to standards of medical care and service rendered by its medical staff
- Maintains medical records for all patients
- Has a requirement that every patient be under the care of a member of the medical staff
- Provides 24-hour patient services
- Has in effect agreements with a home health agency for referral and transfer of patients to home health agency care when such service is appropriate to meet the patient's requirements
Acronym for Medicare Advantage. An alternative to the traditional Medicare program in which private plans run by health insurance companies provide health care benefits that eligible beneficiaries would otherwise receive directly from the Medicare program.
A jointly funded federal and state program that provides hospital and medical coverage to the low-income population and certain aged and disabled individuals.
A nationwide insurance program for the disabled and people age 65 and over, created by the 1965 amendments to the Social Security Act and operated under the provisions of the Act. It consists of two separate but coordinated programs, Part A and Part B.
An individual and each of his or her eligible dependents, including Medicare beneficiaries who are enrolled or participate in a benefit program and who are entitled to receive covered services from the practitioner pursuant to such benefit program and the terms of the practitioner's agreement.
A family physician, family practitioner, general practitioner, internist or pediatrician who is responsible for delivering or coordinating care. Also called a primary care physician.
A medical practitioner or covered facility recognized by EmblemHealth for reimbursement purposes. A provider may be any of the following, subject to the conditions listed in this paragraph:
- Doctor of medicine
- Doctor of osteopathy
- Doctor of podiatric medicine
- Physical therapist
- Nurse midwife
- Certified and registered psychologist
- Certified and qualified social worker
- Nurse anesthetist
- Speech-language pathologist
- Clinical laboratory
- Screening center
- General hospital
- Any other type of practitioner or facility specifically listed in the member's Certificate of Insurance as a practitioner or facility recognized by EmblemHealth for reimbursement purposes
A provider must be licensed or certified to render the covered service. The covered service must be within the scope of the Provider's license or certification.