“These cookies are family tradition! I’ve adapted them to be healthier, but wanted to still keep the dolcini tre colori classic flavor.”
-Olivia Fischetti, Digital Strategy Manager at EmblemHealth
Tools you’ll need:
- Three 13x9x2 metal baking pans
- Vegetable shortening for prep
- Three bowls
- Stand or hand mixer
- Pastry brush
- 2 cups vegan or soy-free butter (Earth Balance), cubed, at room temperature
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon honey
- 12 oz. almond paste (not marzipan), chopped
- 2 3/4 cups almond flour
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon green food coloring
- 3/4 cup apricot jam, heated
- 4 oz. bittersweet organic chocolate, chopped, melted
- Preheat oven to 350° and line the three baking pans with foil, leaving overhang. Grease with vegetable shortening; set aside.
- Place egg whites in bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk (or use a hand mixer) and beat until soft peaks form. Slowly add sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Cover and place in refrigerator.
- Using the paddle attachment (or hand mixer) beat almond paste and honey on medium-low until incorporated, about 4-5 minutes.
- Increase speed to medium-high and gradually add butter. Beat until fluffy. Beat in yolks, then add both flours and salt. Fold in egg whites in 2 additions.
- Divide the batter evenly among 3 bowls. Mix red coloring into 1 bowl and green coloring into second bowl; leave third bowl plain.
- Spread batter into each prepared pan and smooth tops. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, until just set, about 9-11 minutes. Let cool in pans.
- With a pastry brush, spread half of heated jam over green cake. Using foil overhang, lift plain layer out of pan. Invert onto green layer; discard foil. Brush remaining jam over plain layer. Lift red layer out of pan; invert onto plain layer and cover cake with foil.
- Place a 13x9x2 pan on top of the cakes. Weigh down pan with several heavy canned goods or books to compress cake layers. Refrigerate at least 4 hours and up to 1 day.
- Remove cans or books, top pan, and foil. Transfer cake to a waxed paper-lined baking sheet.
- Spread half of chocolate over cake in a thin layer. Freeze for 10 minutes. Cover with waxed paper, invert the baking sheet on top, and flip cake. Uncover and glaze with remaining chocolate. Freeze 10 additional minutes.
- Trim cake to 12×8. Cut crosswise into six 2 inch wide strips. Cut each strip crosswise into 96 ½ inch wide cookies. Store in an airtight container.
Recipe adapted from Bon Appétit.
The post Healthy Holiday Recipe: Italian Rainbow Cookies appeared first on Who's Caring For You?.