Date Issued: 3/28/2019
EmblemHealth is committed to our partnership with the Vaccines for Children (VFC) Program.
The VFC Program is administered by New York City in conjunction with the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (NYC VFC), and New York State for non-city residents (NYS VFC).
Collectively, these programs distribute free vaccines to eligible providers serving Child Health Plus/Medicaid members ages 18 and younger throughout our service area:
- New York City (Bronx, Kings, New York, Queens, and Richmond counties)
- Nassau County
- Suffolk County
- Westchester County
To enroll in the NYC VFC Program, visit nyc.gov/site/doh/providers/nyc-med-cir/vaccines-for-children-requirements.page.
To enroll in the NYS VFC Program, visit https://www.health.ny.gov/prevention/immunization/vaccines_for_children/enroll.htm.
For a list of Medicaid-covered vaccines, visit our Enhanced Care (Medicaid) Enhanced Care Plus (HARP) 2019 drug formulary; review the section titled “Vaccines/Miscellaneous Immunologicals.”
Administering covered vaccines
Below is a list of covered vaccines that may be administered by NYS-certified pharmacists to members as follows.1
|Members between the ages of two and 18||Members 18 years of age||Members 19 years of age and older|
- May be administered only influenza vaccines.
- If members need a vaccination other than influenza, they need to call their doctor.
- Acute herpes zoster (shingles)
- Pertussis vaccines
Members are eligible to get the flu vaccine at participating pharmacies.
Some pharmacies can also provide other vaccinations recommended for older adults, including:
- Pneumococcal (pneumonia)
- Tetanus diphtheria and acellular pertussis (Tdap)
- Tetanus diphtheria (Td)
- Shingles (zoster)
- Meningococcal vaccine (May not be recommended for all adults.)
Billing and reimbursements for covered vaccines
New York State Medicaid should never be billed for the cost of any vaccine for members 18 years of age and younger when the vaccine is available through the NYS/NYC VFC Programs. This applies to both Fee-for-Service (FFS) and Medicaid Managed Care (MMC) members.
Below is information regarding the most current list of vaccines covered in each program:
- NYC VFC Vaccines
- The Citywide Immunization Registry (CIR) includes a notation for vaccines covered in the VFC Program (see column to the far right) and CPT codes.
- Vaccines with a “Y” indication in the VFC column will be auto-denied when administered to any VFC-eligible members 18 years of age and younger.
- NYS VFC Vaccines
- For the most up-to-date vaccines covered in the NYS program, refer to the CDC VFC Price List.
- Review both the Pediatric/VFC Vaccine Price List and the Pediatric Influenza Vaccine Price List for the vaccines covered under VFC.
- These vaccines will be auto-denied when administered to any VFC-eligible members 18 years of age and younger. Check here to see the related CPT codes.
Billing for covered vaccines for members 18 years of age and younger:
- At VFC participating pharmacies:
- Covered Medicaid members ages two and older are eligible for the flu vaccine.
- Covered Medicaid members age 18 only are eligible for other covered vaccines (listed above).
- The adjudication system will identify when a VFC product is being billed for an MMC plan member 18 years of age and younger. The pharmacy will be notified that the requested vaccine is eligible and must be billed under VFC.
|If the dispensing pharmacy is enrolled in VFC.||If the dispensing pharmacy is not enrolled in VFC.|
Billing for covered vaccines for members 19 years of age and older:
- Claims for covered vaccines listed on our Formulary will process through our regular billing procedure.
If you have questions or need additional information about this program, call us at 800-922-1557 (TTY: 711). A Customer Service representative will be happy to help 24 hours a day, seven days a week.