The Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS) survey has begun for your youngest Medicaid patients. CAHPS asks members about their experience with their health plan and the care they receive from providers, so we can measure how well the plan and providers are meeting members’ expectations. The CAHPS survey goes out once every year and results roll up into EmblemHealth’s overall Medicaid Quality Incentive Award (QIA) ratings.
The New York State Department of Health will run the survey from Nov. 2020 through Jan. 2021. Members are chosen at random, and this year’s survey will focus on children.
The CAHPS survey assesses members’ experience with:
- Customer service.
- Access to needed care with primary care providers and specialists.
- Coordination of member’s care.
- Getting appointments quickly.
- Ease of communicating with staff and doctors.
- Ease of getting and filling prescription drugs.
- Overall rating of health care quality and experience of getting care.
What YOU can do to help:
- Address member complaints quickly.
- Aim for first call resolution of member issues or concerns.
- Treat all members with courtesy, empathy, and respect.
- Go above and beyond to make sure member needs are met.
- Implement customer service and operational process improvements.
- If members call with questions about the CAHPS survey, please direct them to contact DataStat at
For more tips on how to enhance patient interactions, see Improving the Patient Experience.