‘Tis the Season for the CAHPS Survey
We all play an important role impacting member experience that is captured every year through the Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS) survey.
This survey measures the patient’s perception of their health plan and their doctor. High CAHPS survey scores reflect positive relationships between our members and providers and their ability to access timely, well-coordinated care.
Your interaction with patients has a direct impact on their response to the CAHPS survey. Here are some tips to provide exceptional patient care:
- Two-way communication: Communicate in plain language. “Have you had a flu shot since July 1, 2023?” is one of the CAHPS questions. Remind your patients to get a flu vaccine.
- Explain the care provided and proposed treatment plan in ways that are easy to understand. Listen carefully. Make sure patients also understand the care they receive from other providers.
- Assess the need for increased appointment availability: Consider offering same-day appointments, evening and weekend appointments, a nurse line after hours, and virtual visits.
- Equip patients with tools such as materials about health conditions. Implement reminder systems and let members view their health records.
- Consider timeliness: Limit telephone hold times to under 15 minutes, and keep patients informed if you are running behind schedule. Try to schedule well visits/routine physicals within four weeks, and non-urgent sick visits within 48 to 72 hours of the member’s request.
Visit Clinical Corner for more details and to find out how to improve your CAHPS scores.
JP 64134 12/2023