Tobacco Cessation Counseling
Date Issued: 1/5/2017
We partner with the New York State Smokers Quitline to provide comprehensive tobacco cessation services to our members. To make it easy for you to encourage our members to quit smoking, no provider referral is necessary to join the program. When you identify patients ready to quit smoking, you can recommend they call the NYS Quitline at 1-866-NY-QUITS (1-866-697-8487) or 1-877-500-2393 for non-NY residents.
The 5 A's To Assess the Need for Counseling
U.S. Public Health Service clinical practice guidelines recommend you discuss the "5 A's" during all patient visits. Incorporate these 5 A's into your practice:
- Ask all of your patients if they smoke.
- Advise every smoker to quit smoking.
- Assess their readiness to quit.
- Assist with a plan for quitting.
- Arrange for follow-up.
Studies show that a follow-up visit or phone call within one week of the patient's quit date can double the effectiveness of any intervention. EmblemHealth provides reimbursement for tobacco cessation counseling based on current Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services guidelines. Please use the following CPT codes for these office visits:
- 99406: Smoking and tobacco-use cessation counseling visit, intermediate,
greater than 3 minutes up to 10 minutes
- 99407: Smoking and tobacco-use cessation counseling visit, intensive,
greater than 10 minutes.