Where to go for Answers

Government Assistance

  • To get a Medicaid Client Identification Number (CIN #) for your baby: 1-888-566-9799.
  • WIC (Women, Infants, and Children program): In New York State, find a WIC Center online or by calling 1-800-522-5006. In New York City (NYC), call 311.
  • Food Stamps: 1-800-342-3009.
  • Dental care for members with coverage through the Medicaid, Child Health Plus or Family Health Plus program: Call Healthplex at 1-800-468-9868. If you do not have dental coverage and live in New York City, call 311 to find dental providers in your area.

Depression During or After Pregnancy

  • If you experience signs of depression while you are pregnant or in the eight weeks after delivery (known as the postpartum period), call your OB/GYN or the phone number for the Mental Health and Substance Abuse department on the back of your health plan ID card.
  • If you have suicidal thoughts, or thoughts about hurting yourself or your baby, call 911 or the suicide hotline at 1-800-784-2433 for help immediately.
  • For prenatal (before birth) or postpartum depression information, call:

General Pregnancy Information

  • Quit Smoking: Call 1-866-NY-QUITS (1-866-697-8487) to find resources in your area that can help you quit for good. In New York City, call 311.
  • HIV and Newborn Screening in New York State: New York State requires that all newborn babies be tested for HIV and other conditions through the Newborn Screening Program. To find out more, visit the Wadsworth Center. To learn more about HIV and AIDS visit the New York State Department of Health Web site.
  • Food Safety: For information on types of fish that are safe to eat while you are pregnant, visit the American Pregnancy Association.
  • Make Your Wishes Known: Download a health care proxy form from the New York State Department of Health. Once you complete it, keep the original and give copies to the hospital and the two people you name as your Health Care Proxy.
  • Lead Poisoning: To find out about lead poisoning and testing, visit the New York State Department of Health or the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. New York City residents can also call 311.
  • Car Seat Safety: Safe Kids USA can help you learn how to keep your baby safe.
  • Shaken Baby Syndrome: Learn about this dangerous issue by visiting The Shaken Baby Alliance or the New York State Office of Children and Family Services.
  • Domestic Violence: No one has the right to hurt you. You are not alone and there is help available.
    • If you have a medical emergency, or if you are in immediate danger, call 911.
    • The New York State Coalition Against Domestic Violence: Visit them online or call 1-800-942-6906 (English) or 1-800-942-6908 (Spanish).
    • Safe Horizons: Visit them on the Web or call 1-800-621-HOPE (1-800-621-4673).
    • The New York City Anti-Violence Project: Reach them online or by calling 1-212-714-1141.