EmblemHealth will follow Medicare guidelines in the Federal COVID-19 stimulus bill (known as the “CARES Act”). Click here for more.
UPDATE: No COVID-19 Member Cost-Sharing
At this time, EmblemHealth members across all product lines will have no cost-sharing (including copayments, coinsurance, or deductibles) for the diagnostic visit and related lab test for the coronavirus (COVID-19).
As state and federal guidelines evolve in response to the pandemic, EmblemHealth will continue to evaluate the latest guidance and make appropriate adjustments to our policies. We will also continue to carefully monitor utilization in support of our members’ diagnostic needs, while upholding our commitment to detecting, correcting and preventing fraud, waste and abuse. This is essential to maintaining a health care system that is affordable for everyone.
See our Temporary Telehealth Policy, containing allowable procedure codes, and Frequently Asked Questions for guidance on these services for our members. Telehealth services include visits by phone, virtual check-in, or virtual visit via Skype, FaceTime, or other video exchange.
- EmblemHealth members across all our product lines will have no cost sharing (including copayments, coinsurance, or deductibles) for in-network telehealth visits. These visits have no cost-sharing for COVID-19 and non-COVID-19 related services. Members with a benefit plan that includes the Teladoc™ program will also have no cost-sharing for Teladoc visits. The telehealth cost-sharing waiver may not apply to ASO plans.
- Click here to learn how you can use Telehealth to close gaps in care and get the data needed for commercial, Medicaid, and Medicare Advantage health plan risk adjustment programs.
We sent a letter in May with information about Teledentistry, including EmblemHealth’s guidelines for delivering services. We have updated this letter to reflect the new June 30, 2020 expiration date for these guidelines. Please click here for the updated letter.
UM and Emergency Admission Notifications
Many facilities continued to coordinate care for their patients with our EmblemHealth team over the last three months. Thank you for your partnership and care for our members during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic in New York State.
To align with New York State Department of Financial Services guidance, effective June 19, 2020, EmblemHealth will resume all standard utilization review and emergency admission notifications for inpatient hospital and emergency services rendered to members with the Essential Plan and individual, small, or large group health benefit plans. This also includes restarting these services for our Medicare Advantage plans, which EmblemHealth had voluntarily suspended.
The affected services include:
- Concurrent Review is permitted as of June 19, 2020 for all non-emergent inpatient hospital claims.
- Retrospective Reviews of all claims with dates of service on or before June 18, 2020, EXCEPT emergency department and inpatient hospital services for the treatment of COVID-19 that are not subject to retrospective review during the remainder of this state of emergency.
- All previously initiated reviews of claims for services provided before March 20, 2020.
- Utilization review of inpatient and outpatient services at in-network mental health and substance use disorder facilities, to the extent permissible by law.
Important note: EmblemHealth will continue to follow guidance from the New York State Department of Health that suspends utilization management for Medicaid services through the end of the New York State of Emergency on September 7, 2020.
As always, if you have questions about this guidance or your continued interactions with EmblemHealth, please contact your relationship manager. Click here for information.
To address the high demand for COVID-19 testing, EmblemHealth is providing additional lab options. Quest Diagnostics is EmblemHealth’s preferred, in-network lab.
|Northwell Health Laboratories||Use CPT code 87635||516-719-1100|
|LabCorp||Use test code 139900
Use CPT code 87635
|Bio-Reference||Use CPT code 87635||833-684-0508|
If you send a specimen to a lab other than Quest, or have any collection or billing questions, please contact them at phone number above. While some of these additional labs are normally out-of-network for EmblemHealth members, we know partnering with you and providing expanded access to testing is in everyone’s best interests.
EmblemHealth does not require preauthorization for COVID-19 testing.
Screening and Coding Guidance
- Providers should make sure to follow Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines.
- New York State issued a special update on the Department of Health website: Medicaid Coverage and Reimbursement Policy for Services Related to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID–19). The state’s public information page includes daily updates and additional guidance. Providers in other states should seek out guidance from their state departments of health.
- The CDC published the ICD-10-CM Official Coding Guideline with links to official diagnosis coding guidance for health care encounters and deaths related to COVID-19.
Members may also have questions about their prescription coverage and having enough maintenance medication on hand. This provider update includes information we emailed to our members on March 10.
Use our secure provider portal or fax. See this link for more information.
- Electronically submit claims for faster processing.
- Sign in to your secure portal account and make sure we have the correct email for you and your practice. If you don’t have a portal account, here is a guide for setting up your account.
- EmblemHealth is providing tips and updates to its members and the public. We are regularly updating this information and posting it here. The page includes accurate, fact-based information from our medical leadership as well as city, state, and federal authorities. Feel free to share this link with your patients.
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services News Alert for March 26.
- New York State has published COVID-19 Guidance for Medicaid Providers. The state has also published Special Editions of their Monthly Medicaid Updates; here are the March and April issues.
- The New York City Department of Health hosted a webinar on how community health centers and independent practices can be authorized to enroll patients with COVID-19 in the COVID-19 Hotels Program sponsored by the City of New York. To view a recording of the 35-minute webinar, click here.