Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with a healthy taco recipe that uses tofu as a protein! If you’re unable to eat soy, feel free to swap out the tofu for a lean protein like boneless skinless chicken breasts or turkey cutlets.
Tofu is a healthy substitute for meat, containing 8 grams of protein for every 3.5 ounces — it is low-calorie and fills you up. Studies show that 25 grams of soy protein a day, as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol, may reduce the risk of heart disease.
Cooking Time: 15 min | Yield: 4 servings
2 Tbsp. nonfat plain Greek yogurt
3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice, divided use
2 Tbsp. finely chopped cilantro, divided use
1 medium onion, chopped, divided use
1 medium red pepper, chopped
1 medium yellow pepper, chopped
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 (14-oz.) package firm tofu, cubed or sliced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp. chili powder
4 (6-inch) whole wheat tortillas
1 cup shredded spinach lettuce
1 cup alfalfa sprouts
1. Combine Greek yogurt, 2 Tbsp. lime juice, and 1 Tbsp. cilantro in a small bowl; mix well. Set aside.
2. Combine onion, red pepper, yellow pepper and remaining 1 Tbsp. cilantro in a small bowl; mix well. Set aside.
3. Heat olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
4. Add vegetables; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until crisp.
6. Add tofu, garlic and chili powder; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until tofu is lightly browned and vegetables are tender-crisp.
7. Add remaining 1 Tbsp. lime juice; reduce heat to medium-low and bring to a gentle boil. Remove from heat.
8. Top tortillas evenly with shredded spinach lettuce and tofu mixture.
9. Drizzle with Greek yogurt sauce and top with alfalfa sprouts.
Recipe adapted from the Beachbody Blog
The post Recipe: Healthy Tacos appeared first on Who's Caring For You?.