Although fireworks may seem like a harmless 4th of July tradition, they can be extremely dangerous when handled improperly. Before you light your sparklers, check out these fireworks facts from the National Security Council.
- In 2017, over 12,000 people were injured during fireworks-related incidents.
- More fires are reported on July 4th than any other day of the year, many of which are caused by fireworks.
- Sparklers burn at about 2,000 degrees and can cause severe burns if they come in contact with skin.
- Fireworks, firecrackers, and sparklers should never be used indoors.
- Anyone using fireworks or standing nearby should wear protective eyewear.
The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to watch a show put on by professionals – so sit back, stay safe and enjoy the holiday!