This recipe uses part-skim cheeses and includes flavorful sliced mushrooms, reducing the calories and fat that may come from other lasagna recipes.
Two 8-ounce packages sliced crimini (baby bella) mushrooms
3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Freshly ground black pepper
3 medium zucchini
2 cups marinara sauce
Cooking spray or oil mister
1 1/2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1 large egg
4 cups shredded fat free mozzarella cheese (16 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over high heat. Add mushrooms, onion and garlic to pan; sauté 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, oregano, red pepper, and tomatoes.
- Slice the zucchini lengthwise with a mandolin into 1/8-inch-thick slices (you should have at least 30 to 35 long zucchini ribbons). Lightly salt the zucchini with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and set aside for 15 minutes. Blot the zucchini with paper towels.
- Preheat a grill to medium heat (or preheat a grill pan over medium heat).
- Oil the grill grates or spray the grill pan with cooking spray to avoid sticking. Grill the zucchini until cooked and slightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels and press to absorb excess moisture.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, Parmesan, and egg. Spread 1/2 cup of the marinara sauce in the bottom of a 9 × 13 × 2 1/2- inch baking dish. Make a layer of the zucchini over the sauce to cover the bottom of the dish. Spread 1/2 cup of the ricotta mixture over the zucchini and sprinkle with 1 cup of the mozzarella. Make another layer of zucchini, top with 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce, 1/2 cup ricotta mixture, 1 cup mozzarella. Repeat the layers with the remaining ingredients for a total of 3 layers. Finish the lasagna by topping with the remaining zucchini and marinara sauce. Cover the dish with foil.
- Bake in preheated oven for about an hour, or until bubbly and the cheese is browned. Remove from oven and let rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
This recipe yields about 8 servings.
Recipe adapted from epicurious.com